The Library of the Department of Computer Science and Biomedical Informatics aims at contributing to:
- The support of educational and research needs of the academic community
- The dissemination of information to the public
The D.I.B. Library mainly aims at:
- the existence and formation of the most appropriate room for its most efficient use
- the continuous enrichment and update of its collections
- the most efficient organization and management of the collection material cataloguing
- ensuring the necessary equipment, in order to support the staff’s and the users’ needs
- obtaining the resources, in order to cover the Library’s current and future needs
- employing the most efficient and educated personnel
- the promotion of its services, along with the publication of information leaflets
- the connection to other Libraries
- ensuring its operation in working hours suitable for its users
- the provision of proper training to its users, through seminars
All members of the University community - such as the teaching staff, undergraduate or postgraduate students and the administrative staff - are entitled to borrow books. However, they should carry and provide when requested their Library Card. This card is issued by completing an application form; the students should provide their passes and the rest of the members of the University should provide their I.D cards. The public has also the right to use the Library material, but only for reading.
The Library users have the right of access to all the services and the Library material, depending on the category. The Library personnel is responsible for doing their best, in order to offer the proper services.
Also, it is the right of one using the Library to enjoy reading in a civilized, clean and quiet reading room. Therefore, all users of the Library facilities Services are requested:
- to keep quiet in the reading rooms
- to refrain from eating and drinking in the Library premises
- to refrain from smoking in the Library premises
- to treat the Library material with respect (e.g. they must return books, periodicals and any item in the same condition they borrowed it)
- to make sensible use of all Library furniture and equipment
- to turn off their cellular phones when entering the Library premises
- not to throw papers or any kind of litter in the rooms they use
Also, the Library users must:
- not arrange the items they used in shelves
- leave all personal items and property in the designated area in the Library
- not use the photocopy machines for material not included in the Library items
- use the Library computers only for educational and research purposes
It is worth mentioning that the Library users are allowed to carry and use their own laptops.
As it was mentioned above, the University Library operates as a lending Library. However, the Library material is divided in items which can be borrowed and in those which can not be borrowed.
- Readers can not borrow: all of the informative material (including encyclopedias, dictionaries, CD- Rom, e.t.c.) periodicals, dissertations, old books and the relatively rare Library material
- Readers can borrow: Any other kind of the Library material
In order to use the Library services, the registration and the issue of the Library Card are provided. Along with their registration, the Library users state that they are aware of and accept the library regulations. The loan can be done through the keeping of the students’ passes or ID cards, along with the issue of their Library Cards.
The Library Cards are strictly personal. In case of loss or damage, the users have the right to apply for the issue of a new card.
Duration of borrowing
- Undergraduate – postgraduate students: They are allowed to borrow up to three (3) books, for the period of five (5) working days, with the right of loan renewal, unless another borrower has filed a request for the same item
- Teaching staff: They are allowed to borrow up to five (5) books, in the period of fifteen (15) working days, with the right of loan renewal, unless another borrower has filed a request for the same item.
- Administrative staff: They are allowed to borrow up to two (2) books, in the period of five (5) working days, with the right of loan renewal, unless another borrower has filed a request for the same item.
- Other users: Other users do not have the right to borrow Library items. They may only use them in the Library rooms or photocopy them
Renewal of borrowing
Each category users have the right of loan renewal of the item they borrowed up to two (2) times since the loan expiry, unless another borrower has filed a request for the same item.
Requests for books
Each user, who needs a book which has already been borrowed, has the right to file a request for it; there is a limit for these requests, up to two (2) working days (that is, if any Library user does not borrow the material he/she has filed a request for in two days period, then the request ceases to hold). In these requests there is an order of priority.
Loss or damage of the Library material
In case of loss or damage of the Library material, the user should inform the Library personnel and is obliged to replace the item. In case this item does not exist in the market, the user is obliged to replace it with an item with the same market value and topic.
Use of the Library’s network
The Library users, who are interested in having accessto the Library network, should receive a user name and password, offered by the Library personnel.
All the users have the right to use the photocopy machines, after receiving the special magnetic card required. The Library users are responsible for respecting the provisions regarding the authors’ copyright. As for undergraduate students, in order to obtaintheir degrees, they have to file a transcript of their dissertations and return the material they have borrowed. When they return the material they used, the Library issues a certification that the students have no pending loans.