The Municipal Conservatoire
The municipal Conservatoire is administrated by a seven member Board. The Chairman of the Board is the Mayor of the city. It was founded in 1938 as a department of the National Conservatoire; its first director was the prominent musician Manolis Kalomoiris and it constituted the fifth Conservatoire, in order of foundation in Greece. Initially, there were a few sections with a limited attendance of students. In 1959, Alexandros Anian became the director of the Conservatoire and he improved it considerably , especially by promoting the Municipal Choir of Lamia which won important rewards in Europe . After a period of recession, the Municipality of Lamia decided to promote cultural events in the city, while, the 10 last years the Municipal Conservatoire has been supported morally and economically, and as a result, it has been developed qualitatively.
Nowadays, the progress of the Conservatoire emerges from the high level of studies offered by the 45 music educators in their 650 students. The municipal Conservatoire’s successful materialization of its objectives is ascribed to the responsibility, the skills and the competency and the specialization of these educators , who spread the knowledge and love for the music in their students. These efforts have resulted in the award of diplomas given by committees constituted of great musicians,the participation of the graduates in Pan- Hellenic and International competitions with a great success , the foundation of the Children Choir, the formation of musical ensembles and the foundation of the School Symphony Band. At the same time seminars are organized in which Greek and foreign musicians teach.
The municipal Conservatoire provides a wide spectrum of musical studies, covering the teaching of all the classical and traditional instruments, superior music theory, monody and music standards . In the framework of the intervention, which is practised by the municipality of Lamia, a department of Basic Music skills operates in the Conservatoire, which is addressed to children with special abilities; this has been an experimental scheme in Music Education, since 19994. The main objective of this scheme is the bluntness of the social and educational exclusion, through music. At the moment, there are 40 students who participate in this scheme. Also, the pedagogical aspects of teaching music to young learners is of great importance; as a result, the teaching staff is constantly trained onto the most recent developments to pedagogy, through seminars. This is really helpful for the improvement of the communication between teachers- parents.
The Municipal Regional Theatre (Foundation-Operation-Premises)
In the past, - since 1910- there were several attempts for the foundation of a Municipal Theatre, but they all failed. The construction and the foundation of the Municipal Regional Theatre , as it is now, were successfully completed in 1959, by the architect Kimonas Laskaris, who received the commission to build the theatre by the mayor Ioannis Papasiopoulos. In 1961 the first Administrative Board was elected and Kostas Liaskas was also elected as the curator of the Municipal Regional Theatre- he was the one, who was responsible for its successful route ever since, until his retirement. Finally, on the 3rd of September in 1961, the opening of its operation was done, with the first play of the Royal Theatre
The building of the Municipal Regional Theatre is encompassed by the Ipsiladi road, Ilectras road and Homiros road and it is 980 square metres in area, while its total extent of ground is 12.800 square metres. There are a foyer, a canteen and a cloak- room available. There are also 444 cosy seats in the theatre orchestra; furthermore, there are 261 seats in the theatre balcony. In the foyer there is an Art Room, which accommodates artistic events, such as painting Exhibitions e.t.c. The stage of the theatre is fully equipped, with many conveniences, such as a mobile flooring and a basement for the preparation or the placement of the scenery . It should be noted that in the years 1979-1980 the People’s Open University operated in the Municipal Theatre premises , under the auspices of the Municipality of Lamia, founded by the Mayor Antonios Filis .
Lamia’s Annual Fair
Since the recommendation of its legal entity by Law 214/75, under the authority of the Ministry of Trade, Lamia’s Annual Fair has been operating and renovating; in 1988, the construction of the three (3) indoor exhibition centers began- in an area of 2.700 square meters each-; yet, they have not been completed, nevertheless they operate sufficiently, in order to accommodate and promote the products of the prefecture.
Lamia’s Annual Fair is a really important event for the region, mainly for financial reasons.
The Municipal Art Gallery
It was founded in 1984. It hosts many visual arts events and a collection of artistic works is incorporated in its premises. Also, it provides aid in Art books editions- such as Ecclesiastical heirlooms of the prefecture of Fthiotidas or silk screens created by local artists or even art albums- and it accommodates private collections.
The Archaeological Museum
The Archaeological Museum is located in the first level of the Camp, inside the archaeological site of Lamia’s Citadel; it should be noted that this Camp was built during the Othon period and it was used for military goals, until the beginning of the Second World War. In 1984, the Municipality of Lamia started the reconstruction of the premises and in the 25th of September, 1994 the Archaeological Museum was inaugurated. Due to the fact that it is considered to be a protected monument, it is not susceptible of any kind of formation.
In the Archaeological Museum, there are collections of findings which concern several historical – ancient Greek unities.
The Folklore Museum
The Folklore Museum was founded in 1984 and it forms a legal person governed by public law (Municipality of Lamia). Its foundation is the result of the efforts made by the Lamia’s Women Cultural Association which had raised the relevant material since 1976 and offered it in the Municipality of the town.
The Folklore Museum premises are in 6 Kaliva Bakoyanni street, next to one of the most historical squares of the city of Lamia (Laou Square).
The Municipal Library
The Municipal Library started its operation as a legal person governed by public law, under the superior authority of the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs. In 1979, it turned into a Central Library and acquired a MOBILE LIBRARY , which serves 120 lending centers in the prefecture of Fthiotidas. The Municipal Library is seated in the first floor of the Trakios Bequest Building, in Ainianon street and it numbers almost 55.000 volumes of books; additionally, it is frequently enriched with the most updated editions in order to cover the readers’ needs.